This week we are featuring the kids’ swim skill Airplane Float with Flutter Kick and Pop-up Breath!
Before you try this skill with your child, they will first need to learn these skills that we covered in past videos:
Now that they have got that down, we want to share with you the three progression steps for this skill so you can work on it with your kids.
- Have your child do the Airplane Float with Flutter Kick with your assistance by holding them under their armpits.
- When they need a breath, have them lift their chin above the water and doggy paddle while taking the breath. As they come up tell them to “reach and pull, reach and pull” with their hands under the water.
- Once they take their breath, cue them to put their face back in the water for five or six seconds.
- Have them do step one from the assisted steps above.
- This time, when they come up to do the doggy paddle for their breath, you will hold onto them until you see they are comfortable with that position, then let go to see if they can support themselves by using only the doggy paddle.
- Before they sink under, always support them again with your hands.
- Once you see that your child is comfortable with the doggy paddle assisted progression steps, have them lie out in Airplane Float position.
- When they lift their chin to take a breath, encourage them by saying “reach and pull, reach and pull” to give them time to take that breath properly.
- It is important to offer verbal cues the entire time so they know what to do next.
- Be sure to watch their kicks, making sure they kick the whole time. This supports their horizontal swim position!
There you go! The three progression steps we use when teaching a child how to do the Airplane Float with Flutter Kick and Pop-up Breath. Basically, taking a child from non-swimmer to swimmer!
Check out the video below to see it all in action and preview the steps before you hit the pool.
If you have any questions, suggestions, or are trying to find the way to taking your first dip into the wide world of water, then reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org,and jump in with us at The Aqua Life Swim Academy!